Facebook Tips for Professionals
This is my list of the best tips for maintaining a professional presence with Facebook. Facebook is constantly changing and developing and I will add more tips to this page as I find them. If you have something to add or you want to ask any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- Complete the basic profile information, including work history and school information.
- Connect with friends, family members and close work friends
- Use Facebook lists to setup access control lists for privacy
- Enable the subscribe function for your profile and subscribe to public updates from relevant people, such as your employer or prospective employer.
- Disable social advertising permissions and revoke application permissions for apps you are no longer using
- Regularly check privacy settings and application permissions for hidden updates or changes
- Post regular interesting updates, funny stories, pictures and videos
- Use post privacy options to restrict access to sensitive content such as personal photographs or videos
- Comment on other people’s updates and engage in public conversation threads that are relevant or where you have something to say
- Understand the difference between posting on someone’s wall and sending a private message
- Post anything that you would not be happy to show to your mother
- Show your full birthdate on your profile
- Post public information about your holiday plans or financial details
- Tag people in photographs or videos without their permission
- Upload inappropriate photographs to public albums
- Update your status more than a couple of times a day
- Allow Facebook applications to automatically post public updates to your wall or message your friends
- Spam your friends with any —ville or —wars game invitations or updates
- Like a business page or application unless you are happy to share your data with them as an advertiser
- Complain about problems at work, your employer, your co-workers or your customers